births image

How to Register a birth Cirtificate…?

How to Register a birth Cirtificate…?

1. Overview

All births in England, Wales and Northern Ireland must be registered within 42 days of the child being born.

You should do this at the local register office for the area where the baby was born or at the hospital before the mother leaves. The hospital will tell you if you can register the birth there.

If you can’t register the birth in the area where the baby was born, you can go to another register office and they will send your details to the correct office.

There are different rules for registering a birth in Scotland, registering a birth in Northern Ireland and registering a birth abroad.

Information you need when registering a birth

When registering the birth, you should know:

  • place and date of the birth
  • name, surname and sex of the baby
  • parents’ names, surnames and address
  • places and dates of parents’ birth
  • date of parents’ marriage or civil partnership
  • parents’ jobs
  • mother’s maiden surname

You might not need to give all of this information, depending on who is registering the birth.

What you should take

You should take at least one form of identification when you go to the register office. You can use:

  • passport
  • birth certificate
  • deed poll
  • driving licence
  • proof of address (eg utility bill)
  • Council Tax bill
  • marriage or civil partnership certificate

You should also take your child’s personal child health record or ‘red book’ as some registrars may ask to see it.

If you’re going to the register office on your own, you may need proof of paternity from the other parent before you give their details.

Organisations you need to contact

Having a child may affect your tax and benefits and services from your local council. The Tell Us Once service can report a birth to several government organisations in one go. The registrar will let you know if this service is available in your area.

Bring the following information to your Tell Us Once appointment:

  • the date of birth, address, phone and National Insurance number of the people to be named on the birth register, or of any partner living in the same household
  • details of benefits anyone to be named on the birth register is getting or has applied for
  • details of benefits any partner living in the same household is getting or has applied for

If the Tell Us Once service isn’t available in your area, you’ll need to:

  • claim Child Tax Credit
  • contact JobCentre Plus about your benefits

Child Benefit

You can’t apply for Child Benefit through the Tell Us Once service but you may be able to have your claim verified at your appointment. This means that you won’t have to buy a second birth certificate to send off with your claim form.

Ask your local registrar if you can do this when you make your Tell Us Once appointment.

2. Who can register a birth

Opposite-sex couples

Married parents

Either parent can register the birth on their own. They can include both parents’ details if they were married when the baby was born or conceived.

Unmarried parents

The details of both parents can be included on the birth certificate if one of the following happens:

  • they sign the birth register together
  • one parent completes a statutory declaration of parentage form and the other takes the signed form to register the birth
  • one parent goes to register the birth with a document from the court (eg a court order) giving the father parental responsibility

The mother can choose to register the birth on her own if she isn’t married to the child’s father. The father’s details won’t be included on the birth certificate.

It might be possible to add the father’s details at a later date by completing an application for the re-registration of a child’s birth.

Same-sex female couples

Female couples can include both their names on their child’s birth certificate when registering the birth.

Married or civil-partner parents

Either parent can register the birth on her own if all of the following are true:

  • the mother has a child by donor insemination or fertility treatment
  • she was married or in a civil partnership at the time of the treatment

Unmarried, non-civil-partner parents

When a mother isn’t married or in a civil partnership, her partner can be seen as the child’s second parent if both women:

  • are treated together in the UK by a licensed clinic
  • have made a ‘parenthood agreement’

However, for both parents’ details to be recorded on the birth certificate, they must do one of the following:

  • register the birth jointly
  • complete a ‘Statutory declaration of acknowledgement of parentage’ form and one parent takes the signed form when she registers the birth
  • get a document from the court (eg a court order) giving the second female parent parental responsibility and one parent shows the document when she registers the birth

Same-sex male couples

Male couples must get a parental order from the court before they can be registered as parents.

Other people who can register a birth

If the parents can’t register the birth (eg for medical reasons), certain other people can do it:

  • someone who was present at the birth
  • someone who is responsible for the child
  • a member of the administrative staff at the hospital where the child was born

3. Birth certificates

There are 2 types of birth certificate:

  • the short version, which contains only the baby’s details
  • the full version, which also contains the parents’ details

Once you have registered the birth, you’ll be able to buy a short or full certificate for your baby. Both kinds cost £4.

If you register the birth in the area where it took place, you’ll get a certificate straight away. If you register the birth in another area, you’ll get it in a few days.

You can buy extra copies of the birth certificate from the register office at any time.

You may not need to buy an extra birth certificate to send with your Child Benefit claim if your claim can be verified at your Tell Us Onceappointment.




Source by:- gov